Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apothic Red 2010, drinking wine for a reason

Let me start by saying, often times I don't need to drink.  I really like the taste of beer, wine, vodka, scotch, etc.  Not too often do I find myself 'needing a drink' due to a stressful situation, a long, tiresome, angst-ridden workday, or some needless predicament I've found myself in.  Today is the needless predicament, which prompted me to open the 2010 Apothic Red.  It's a California red blend of Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.  It's very tasty and went very well with the steak I just grilled.

I would like to possibly rename the wine 'Apathetic' for the reason I am drinking a glass this evening, which is due to my cat:
I imagine the look on his face is him saying, 'what? WHAT? What do you want from me?!'

I was on the phone this evening explaining to a friend of mine how my cat, Oscar, tends to bring in little 'trophies' from the outdoors if I do not close the balcony door.  He apparently found a nest of bunny tonight and I noticed was dining on his third victim when I let him in.  I explained to my phone friend that the bunny's tend to cry (it's a horrible, horrible sound) but this alerts me to make sure balcony door closed prior to Oscar dropping his catch of the moment.  If I do not close the balcony door, then it's a matter of who gets to chase after the bunny/mouse/etc.  I would rather Oscar do the chasing, but he practically loses interest if I'm involved.  I'm sure there is some cat logic there as in 'hey, I brought you the goodie, you now get to play with it, this is a great honor'. I even said to my friend "mice are the worst.  At least with bunnies you can find them and they run/hop but they are still possible to catch."  I realize now I had doomed myself by speaking those words.

The first thing I noticed after letting my cat instead is that he headed directly to the kitchen, and flatten the entire front part of his body down to squeeze himself under a low kitchen shelf.  He couldn't get himself back much farther...and then I knew.  There was something behind that shelf.

After removing some bags from the left side of my wine cooler, I noticed mouse droppings and then saw a tail.  I started to panic and had to give my friend the 'I am going to let you go, there is a situation'.  Then I saw the tail.

I called my roommate, hauled the vacuum upstairs, told my roommate to move the wine cooler and with the hose extension I would suck that little bastard up.  But that little bastard mouse kept moving, away from the sound of the vacuum, eventually ran into my dining room, across my roommate's foot, and then flung his little brown body to the front entryway and then either into the powder room or to the adjacent main floor closet.  Which way did he go?  Did my cat help?  No..he was laying on the steps looking at both my roommate and I as if to say, 'really, do you think you know anything about how to catch a mouse?'.

Thus I will now refer to this wine as apathetic.  As in, my cat better suck up his apathetic little attitude and do some mouse hunting quickly.  He has no problem killing for sport, but this is a serious need.  I want to see some mouse carnage, until that moment I will continue drinking this red.  It's a nerve-calmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment